Expert Isaac Braswell, who passed away on March 2, sometimes played for the Rogue Squadron in the Chicago Industrial Chess League. In the Chicago Chess Blog, his teammate Bill Brock shared notes on their last competition together. Isaac's opponent, Anthony Jasaitis, shares his own annotation of Isaac's last game with us.
Bill writes: "We had a big ratings advantage for the Tradelink match (Rogue Squadron is an "alumni" team drawing from veterans of many different CICL teams, while the Tradelink players are indeed traders and thus a "pure" team). We were expected to win fairly handily on the lower boards, which we did. But both Isaac and I fell into opening difficulties against Tony Jasaitas and Mack Smith, respectively. I eventually won; Isaac told me that he was probably lost against Tony, but didn't look too worried, and was in apparent good spirits. I left (we were leading 5-0). Isaac somehow turned an unattractive ending into a win. 6-0 shutout: not bad. Tradelink took the loss in stride, and the two teams exchanged analysis of several interesting games the next day, Friday, March 2nd."
Bill continued, "Tony was kind enough to share his notes to this game. These annotations, lighthearted yet informative, were written after Isaac's death, but days before any of us in the chess community learned the sad news. Both players had fun!
"The game itself demonstrate that good things can happen to those who persevere in the face of adversity."
- Steve Szpisjak, Angelo Young Top '17 IL Senior Open
- Three IL Players Up 300 Points in October; 63 Up 100+
- ICA to Offer Special Deals for Online Chess to ALL Players
- Illinois Full of Over the Board Opportunities for National Chess Day on Saturday, October 14
- Shake Hands with National Tournament Director Tim Just
- Roselle Library’s inaugural chess meeting and event
- Casual and Competitive Chess at the Roselle Public Library!
- Indiana's Parnham Wins Springfield National Chess Day Tournament Dedicated to Former SCC President Donelly
- Stevenson High Schoolers Teach Their Successors
- Glenwood Chess Club Seeks Volunteer Tutors
- ICA Election cycle underway - Call for Nominations
- ICA's 2017 Annual Meeting Scheduled for November 18
- Opportunities Available To Serve as Delegate to US Chess Business Meetings in Wisconsin During Late Summer of '18
- ICA Seeks Downstate Board Member
- Volunteeers Sought for ICA Bid Committee
- Opportunity For ICA Involvement; IL Open & IL Class Staffing