OleChess Camp 2017
- Sunday, July 16, 2017 - Friday, July 21, 2017
- Northfield, MN, MN
- Camps and Classes
OleChess Camp 2017 - Our 13th Year
With Six Sections Tailored to Adult & Youth Campers of All Ages
July 16 - 21 at St. Olaf College in Northfield, MN, 30 minutes south of Minneapolis/St. Paul
Preceded by a 1-day US Chess rated tournament July 15
Limited to the first 125 registrants!
OleChess is tailored to provide the best chess experience to each camper, from novice through master, youth through adult. It’s are recognized as some of the most experienced and finest instructors in the country, not just as strong chessplayers.
The camp provides five solid days of chess instruction, including two simuls, and several evening chess and non-chess activities. Depending upon the student's needs, the camp provides superb chess instruction along with fun events to keep the campers fresh, or alternatively additional masterly instruction for the campers looking for the most intense experience.
This year the camp has the additional benefit of being followed immediately by the U.S. Junior Open and U.S. Senior Open. This is a great opportunity to combine a national caliber camp with a national championship tournament!
We can't summarize all of our important features in this small space, but here are some of our key features -- please visit our website at http://go.stolaf.edu/olechess to learn more about the camp.
- Camp sections tailored to adults and youth students
- Opening night simul with class instructor provides mutual introductions and insures students are in the "best-fit" class
- Daily "championship tournament" game followed by instructor analysis
- Three classes of chess instruction per day with breaks in addition to meal breaks
- Evening events include: sports, bowling, blitz chess, bughouse, quick chess
- Evening chess lectures by Grandmasters for advanced students; topics at http://go.stolaf.edu/olechess search on “Lecture”
- The Survivor Simul on Friday morning - which many have described as the most unique and fun chess event at any camp
- Individual evaluations and feedback for students on Friday along with the closing ceremonies
- Highly experienced instructional staff considered not only top players, but among the top instructors in the country
- Experienced campers often refer to us as the "chessiest" of the national caliber camps
- St. Olaf campus, ranked among the most beautiful in the country, includes modern teaching facilities
- Stav Hall, ranked among the best campus food service in the country
The camp sections include:
- Chess Exploration, our core camp for campers of all ages
- Intensive Study-Adult Fundamentals for the novice to mid-level adult (only)
- Intensive Study-Youth for the experienced Youth player rated 1500 or up to the highest levels
- Intensive Study-Adult for the experienced Adult (of any level) or very serious youth student rated 1700 and up
- Intensive Study-Master Class for the very serious student ranked 2000 and up
- ChessCort for the adult who is escorting a camper and who wants to better understand chess
- 2017 instructors include: GM Gregory Kaidanov, GM Alex Yermolinsky, GM Yury Shulman, GM Alex Goldin, GM Dmitry Gurevich, WGM Camilla Baginskaite, FM/FT Kevin Bachler, LM Ken Wallach, NM Dane Mattson and EX Dane Zagar. Additional staff will be added as needed.
For more information on OleChess or to register, see http://go.stolaf.edu/olechess or our Facebook page - search on "OleChess"
*Final placement in any section or class is up to camp instructional staff. Campers are placed in classes based on many criteria, including strength, age, gender, general make-up of class, experience of instructor, experience of student(s) and other factors. The goal is to obtain the best fit to maximize the potential for learning.
- St. Olaf College
- Northfield, MN