Illinois Open 2017
- Written by Bill Buklis Bill Buklis
2017 Illinois Open State Championship
An Illinois Chess Tour Event.
Saturday, Sept. 2 - Monday, Sept. 4 (Labor Day Weekend)
2-day option (Sunday Sept 3 - Monday Sept 4)
Register online at www.kingregistration.com/tournaments/event/ILOpen2017
$10,000 Guaranteed! $9,400 tournament prize fund plus $600 in door prizes for ICA members!
Pairings and Results are available online at http://www.kingregistration.com/results/ilopen2017.
Location: Crowne Plaza Hotel, 2875 N. Milwaukee Ave., Northbrook, IL 60062, (847) 298-2525.
Sections: Open (open to all) and Reserve (Under 1800 or unrated). Both sections FIDE Rated - FIDE Laws of Chess will be followed.
- 3-day option — Sept 2-4, G/90+30, Sat. & Sun. 12 noon & 6 p.m., Mon. 10:30 a.m. & 3:30 p.m.
- 2-day option (ideal for those wanting to play in Saturday night’s Illinois Blitz Championship) — Sept. 3-4, rds. 1-3 G/45 d5, then merge with 3-day at rd. 4. Sun. 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 6 p.m., Mon. 10:30 a.m. & 3:30 p.m.
1/2-point byes (maximum two) OK all rounds, must commit by end of round 2; round 6 byes may not be rescinded after round 2.
Prizes: $9,400 unconditionally guaranteed!
- Open Section: $1,500-900-450-260-150; Under 2400 $480-230-120; Under 2200 $460-220-110; Under 2000 $450-210-100.
- Reserve (Under 1800) Section: $900-500-225-140-105; Under 1600 $360-180-120; Under 1400 $350-170-110; Under 1200 $340-160-100.
Unrated players qualify for top prizes only.
$600 in door prizes! Ten Amazon gift cards given to ICA members.
- $97 USPS postmarked by 8/11 and online by 8/11.
- $117 USPS postmarked after 8/5 (must be received by 8/25); online by 9/1 for 3-day schedule; online by 9/2 for 2-day schedule.
- On-site registration: $135, 10-11:30 a.m. Sat., 9-10:30 a.m. Sun.
- Entries after cutoff receive appropriate ½-point byes.
- Reentries for $50 with appropriate byes.
$5 discount for ICA members (annual dues $15 regular, $10 scholastic)— join at www.il-chess.org. ICA members earn points for the Illinois Chess Tour. To be eligible for 2017 Tour prizes you must join ICA before the conclusion of the Illinois Open.
$20 extra to play in Open Section with rating of 1799 and below.
Free entry to Illinois GMs, WGMs, IMs, WIMs, FMs, WFMs.
Use the online registration form or mail checks to Illinois Chess Association, P.O. Box 4521, Skokie, IL 60077-4521. No phone entries.
Advance entries posted at www.kingregistration.com/tournaments/entrylist/ILOpen2017.
Boards, sets, and clocks provided by The Illinois Chess Association.
Scholastic side event on 9/2, details and registration at www.kingregistration.com/tournaments/event/ldwscholastic17.
Illinois Blitz Championship on 9/3 evening, details and registration at www.kingregistration.com/tournaments/event/ilblitz2017.
Hotel Reservation: (847) 298-2525 or www.crowneplaza.com/northbrookchi, $99 room rate, must use Group Code ILL when registering. Includes free breakfast buffet for up to 4 people. Rate is still available. 25% discount at Willows Restaurant to all tournament participants. Discount is only good off special menu specific for the tournament.
Summary of differences between FIDE Laws of Chess and US Chess Federation rules: http://www.uschess.org/content/view/12723/668
FIDE Laws of Chess: http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=171&view=article