ICA Appoints Scott Daniels as Director of Warren Jr Scholars
- Written by Carl Dolson Carl Dolson
With the sad passing of ICA Warren Junior Scholars Program Director Sevan Muradian, the ICA Board has taken action to appoint Scott Daniels of Normal as Director of the WJS.
Scott, an ICA Board member since January 2014, has been an active supporter of Illinois scholastic chess. His son Jason, an Expert-level player, is a Warren Scholar and represented Illinois at the 2015 World Youth Championship in Halkidiki, Greece. His younger son Alex is also a former state kindergarten champion.
The Board expressed confidence that Scott will provide the necessary leadership to further the objectives of the Warren Junior Scholars Program.
Qualifications & Requirements
The Warren Junior Scholar and Rising Stars program year is from July 1 to June 30 of the following year.
To be chosen as a Warren Junior Scholar, students must be residents of Illinois, list the USCF as their FIDE federation and meet the following criteria:
* For high school players, have a minimum USCF rating of 1900 as of the July rating supplement of the current year, or have achieved a peak supplement rating of 1900 during the 12 months prior
* For players in 8th grade or below, have a minimum USCF rating of 1700 as of July rating supplement of the current year, or have achieved a supplement peak rating of 1700 during the 12 months prior
* For female players of any age, have a minimum USCF rating of 1500 as of July rating supplement of the current year, or have achieved a peak supplement rating of 1500 during the 12 months prior
Additionally, players age 10 and up must have played at least 10 regularly rated games (not quick-rated) in open tournaments or sections (as opposed to those limited to scholastic players) within the prior calendar year.
2016 - 2017 Warren Junior Scholars Officially Announced; Exciting New Rising Stars Qualifiers Now Posted (Updated)
- Written by Scott Daniels and Bill Feldman Scott Daniels and Bill Feldman
[Editor's note: we apologize that the lists do not render particularly well on mobile devices. The template we have been using for awhile is flawed and we hope to upgrade in the near future. Your membership and dues -- in addition to supporting the Scholars and the Stars programs -- will help support improvements to the award-winning website!]
The Warren Junior Scholar Class of 2016-2017 is listed below, followed by the class of the Rising Stars below that. In-person activities are planned both upstate and downstate with additional opportunities through online vehicles.