14 Teams & Others Compete at CPS K-8 Championships
- Written by Bill Feldman Bill Feldman
- Published: 25 March 2017 25 March 2017
Thanks to results from playoffs the week before, 14 teams and a host of individuals -- whose teams did not qualify -- will compete at the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) Finals March 25.
No team was able to qualify in all four sections: Lower and Upper Primary, Elementary and Junior High at the CPS Play-Offs held March 18.
However, Decatur, Keller, Kinzie and Skinner North qualified in three of the four. Bateman qualified in two sections.
Also qualifying were Azuela, Calmeca, Earle STEM, Edgebrook, Edison Gifted, Gary, Lane Tech, Lenart and Whitney Young Academic Center.
Parents have expressed concern that the CPS is preventing parents from attending the Finals, but community dialog resulted in a partial reversal of this administrative decision. Reportedly, K-2 parents will be able to remain in attendance.
Qualifying individuals are listed below.
K-2 Lower Primary:
- TSYGANOV, Anthony – Bell
- WONG, Nathan - Peirce
- IVASCU, Alexander - Bateman
- SAMPIM, Estelle – Beaubien (unable to attend Championship)
- CHEN HE, YuHan – Edison (replacement for Estelle)
- CUEVAS , Noel Javan – Calmeca
- KIM, Elias – Lenart
- SOTO, Aidan – Calmeca
- VILLANUEVA, Madison - Calmeca
K-4 Upper Primary:
- NOVIKOV, Andrey – Bateman
- LEE, Brian - Edgebrook
- DELIGIANNIS, Dimitri - Beaubien
- LANDIZA, Angelo – Beaubien
- TSAI, Brennan - Lenart
- APPREY, Ameshadai – Beasley
- LAM, Ethan – Lenart
- RAMIREZ, Ethan – Gallistel
- WONG, Megan - Beaubien
- TSYGANOVA, Margarita - Bell
- MANGULOO, Jacob - Wildwood
- BANUELOS, Nathaniel – Noble
- FLORES, Eduardo - Hamline
- SOTO, Alonzo - Hamline
- GENTIL, Aiden - Sheridan
- SANDSERSON, Dmyrion - Mt. Vernon
K-8 Junior High:
- ACHUFUSI, Osita - Skinner North
- LIU, Nathan - Skinner North
- GORA, Christopher - Ogden
- LEONG, Nathan - Skinner North
- GALLOWAY, Marcus - Claremont
- BOLANOS, Diego Cruz – Gallistel
- GARZA , Joseph – Gallistel
- HERNANDEZ, David - Hamline